Friday, March 03, 2006

Oh Dear! A New Craft?


Even though I've been knitting for years, I just recently started getting involved in hand knitting e-groups and I've just had to click on every link in every post on the sock knitters list. Wow, there is no end to the extra special talent in cyber space and the generosity of people to share their ideas and insights is beyond amazing. After my DH made his glove request, I realized that I would have to dig out some stitch markers and having seen some of the beautiful "Knitting Jewelry" available on the net, my regular old plastic rings/garbage bag twist ties wraped around a pen to form cirlces/tiny rubber bands, just would not do! I am not a jewelry maker or a bead crafter, but thank you Carol Duvall and the endless episodes that have been stored in my brain because I just new I could make those too. I'm not a very patient person and I wanted them now, not weeks later after an internet order, so I decided to run over to the "store I hate to love", looked over the beading shelf and picked up some stuff that I thought might work and VIOLA! My very own stitch markers. The very odd looking charm is actually a side view of a dragonfly. This was soo much fun, I'm going to have to buy some fancy charms to make some more. Then I can express my every mood, how many stitch markers does a knitter really need? I'll never know because I want lots! :)

The funny thing was after I figured out how to make my own, I got curious about what was on the net for jewelry making and I stumbled on a web page that someone had put up that described the exact same method to make their stitch markers as I had used to make mine. I should have known that I didn't need to recreate the wheel and looked it up online before I started :)

No comments: