Saturday, March 11, 2006

Fingerless Gloves From Sock Beginnings

They're almost done, just finish up the tipless fingers. I'm alot disappointed though, I tried very hard to make these identical twins and failed anyway. I pulled out from 2 different skeins, they were matching dye lots, and as you can see, I pulled out enough yarn, side by side, matching color for color and after 8 color changes thought I had found my repeat. Wrong. They match up until the middle of the palm, then the repeat changes. It seems that somehow when I was pulling out yarn and finding where they picked up the same I reversed the direction of the yarn from the skein. I'm not sure I'm making sense but if you turn the gloves around side by side....
you can see that the colors are changing in reverse. Oh well, another learning experience :) The other thing I learned is that I don't knit a very even 1x1 rib. No wonder I always prefer a 2x2 or bigger rib pattern. The next set I make will have stockinette knit fingers with just a little bit of rib at the tip. Oh, and I think I will choose a yarn with less of a contrast in colors next time, I think it looks ugly they way the fingers go, but E.J. likes them, so I guess that's all that matters since he's the one wearing them. and he says you can hardly tell that they don't really match. Bless his heart :)

2 comments:

ICJ said...

Interesting mittens! LOL

Tricotine :)

Anonymous said...

love the fingerless gloves. First time visiting your blog . . . nice :)