Friday, September 27, 2013

Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup - No Sodium, Low Potassium Recipe

Raw Mushrooms contain approximately 126-250 mg Potassium per half cup, which is listed in the medium category of our Kaiser Nutrition booklet.  Based on a serving size of 1/2 cup as a sauce over noodles or rice, this would break down to approximately
There are so many different Copy Cat Recipes online for this that it was difficult to decide which one to try.  This version turned out to be very good and I can't wait to use it with pork chops or round steaks. If I were going to eat just the soup, I'd have to add some salt. Or perhaps instead of adding the Table Tasty while cooking, I'd try adding it at the table, I'm thinking the slightly salty taste may cook out of it.

In the next batch I will leave out the celery and garlic and see how that works. I added the garlic because there was a weird taste that we decided was the celery, and it was like it was missing something to tone down that flavor.  The garlic powder worked and really gave it that little boost it needed. I'll be sure to post how the no celery, no garlic recipe turns out when I make it. I'm thinking it might be a closer match to the canned stuff, minus that salty taste and be more appropriate for my Tuna Casserole :)

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup of finely minced onion
  • 1/4 cup of finely minced celery
  • 4 cups (approx. 12 ounces) coarsely chopped fresh mushrooms
  • 2 teaspoon of Table Tasty salt replacement
  • 1 tablespoon Garlic Granules (powder or fresh should work I happen to like to use Kirkland brand from Costco)
  • 3/4 cup of all purpose flour
  • 3 cups of water
  • 3 packets of No Sodium Chicken Boullion crystals
  • 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
  • 1 cup Mocha Mix
Instructions

Melt the butter in a large skillet and saute the onion and celery over medium heat until tender but not browned. Stir in the chopped mushrooms and salt replacement; cook and stir about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the flour a little at a time until fully incorporated, about 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Mix the boulion packets with the water, increase heat to medium high and slowly add the broth a little at a time, until fully incorporated. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in sugar and Mocha Mix and heat through. 

Use about 1-1/4 cups to replace a can of soup. The recipe makes a little over a quart, or roughly enough to equal about 4 cans.  Use any place where you would use Campbell's Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup. Can be frozen.

P.S.  I use my beloved food processor (Thank You, Evelyn) for chopping and mincing the vegetables, makes this a snap to put together.

I adapted this recipe from
http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2010/11/homemade-condensed-cream-of-mushroom.html
Many Thanks for sharing your "beloved southern béchamel".

No comments: