Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Spring Reggae Hat

E.J. had asked me to make him a cotton dred hat for summer.
I'd been putting it off, but I finally designed a pattern and this is how it turned out.

The yarn had too much pink and purple in it for him though, so he wasn't gonna wear it. In the photo's, what looks orange is really hot pink LOL!! But the hat turned out like I wanted and it is now my prototype and I used one of my Christmas bears for my model :)
I guess he changed his mind though. He came walking through the door today and I was able to snap this shot of him wearing the hat.
He still thinks it has too much pink, but it does do what he wants, so I'll be making a new one, with more "macho" colors for him :) I'm also going to experiment with a lighter weight cotton. This one was done with Peaches and Cream and it's a tad heavier than what I want. I'll be looking for some sport weight cotton, maybe Aunt Lydia's Denim? in white and tie dyed? He'd be thrilled, as long as I don't use pink :)
Oh, it's hand knit, but I think I can adapt it for the machine and use one of the mesh type punch cards, then do the decreases and bill by hand and seam up the back. I'll be sure to post what I come up with. It's gonna be alot easier now that I have my basic design down.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd Love the pattern when you make it available. I have been looking for exactly thiat hat but not knowing what I was looking for. Please let me know when it becomes available.c21tamit@hotmail.com
Tami in CT

deebriese said...

I love it! I will be waiting for the pattern! He looks great in it!! D

TracyKM said...

I wish my hubby was so happy about my knitting!
Sorry to get you excited, the Pink Floyd concert was Sept 1987! It was definately an experience, even though back then I didn't appreciate it for the music as much as I would now. Good music is wasted on the youth, LOL. One year before that I saw Genesis at the same cold, outside stadium, and inbetween those two, I also Peter Gabriel, but at least that was July! Since I moved north of Toronto, I haven't been to any concerts (last one was Mary Chapin Carpenter in Sept 97). The trains don't go into the city from here so it's just to inconvinient. Not to mention expensive! Didn't I read something about you going away for a weekend and a concert?

Unknown said...

I love this hat. I also would love this pattern and would buy it. I think hats are like socks you can't just knit on pair. I don't have the sock addiction but hats would be another matter. Love looking at your original creations and your post on the "Lists" always bring a smile to my face.